Saturday, September 5, 2009

Ninja Monkey vs Exploding Glass

I started my quest to have completely unique jewelry creations today by taking my very first warm glass class at Glass Axis. It was great, I really enjoyed the class. The torch was a little intimidating but fire is always fun so I quickly got over it and started playing with the glass.

The instructor shows us the first bead demo and gives us pretty simple instructions to follow. We all move back to our own stations and begin. I make a gigantic bead which I think looks alright. I go to add dots to it and it explodes. Well, I guess that can happen. I move on to round two. I work up a pretty good sized bead that looks really nice. It is deep blue and tear drop shaped. The instructor tells me I need to heat it up so I can add the detail and again it explodes. I decided maybe I should not be attempting such lofty goals on my first day and shoot for just creating some good old fashioned beads.

I ended up with eight beads total, I worked out how to make some cool shapes. I also figured out how you can use different temperatures change with the coloring of some glass. I ended up making one bead that looks like gray flourite so that was pretty cool. I have a long way to go before I will feel comfortable using of my handmade beads in pieces for sale in my store but I am really excited to learn and practice!

The instructor gave me the bead that he made during the first demo, one day I think I will be able to make one that won't explode and shoot glass shards all over the studio. Until then...this ninja monkey is going to be playing with way more fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment